Friday, December 19, 2014

The Official decision with Cooper

Today we had a consult with a pediatric Surgeon to discuss a G-tube for Cooper.

If you haven't read about the recent Doctor's visits, check it out

The surgeon was really nice!
We like her a LOT
She didn't really ask anything about what was going on in the past or how things were going now.
She had read the notes from both Cooper's GI dr. and Allergist prior to coming in and when she walked in she said, " ok, so I'm going to agree with what his doctors are saying and I think the G-Tube will be really beneficial for him.The "failure to thrive" aspect is there and needs to be taken care of."

This appointment went a little differently than I had expected.
I thought we were going to be discussing if the tube was a good decision, what we would be doing if he were to get one, basically just a discussion of what it is and how it works.

It was like that in a way, but just a lot faster pace than I was expecting.
She gave a lot of information.
I'm still trying to understand everything, and I will have to do some more research,
but here is some of the general information from the appointment today.

She went into some detail about the tube.
It will be placed in his stomach between his ribs.
It will be an overnight surgery to ensure that everything is working correctly.
There will be a lot of follow ups, for cleanings, changings, and if anything were to catch on it and potentially pull it out.

It will be up to GI on how we use it:
Whether we do a night drip and let him eat food all day, 
or, let him eat as much as he wants during the day, then supplement at the end of the night whatever calories he needs to meet his daily intake,
 or if at each meal when he is finished eating, supplement the rest of the meal through the tube.

We will have to have another appointment with GI to discuss that.

They also want to do another Upper GI with a follow through study.
He had this done when he was 2 months old.
This is how they found the malrotation in his intestines.
She wants to see how his anatomy is since it is abnormal.
She doesn't want to go in blind.

We don't have appointments set yet,
but we will be getting a call from the surgery center in the next week or so, and we will set those things up.

Today was a hard day for us.
I have been pushing for so long to help my baby strive and grow.
I have been pushing and pushing without really thinking about what it is going to be like when someone finally does something about his problems.
I have had to keep emotion out of it for so long to ensure I was relaying what has been going on.
Today it finally all caught up.
Emotions and an end result finally happened!

I will update again when we have a scheduled date.

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me (and cooper too of course) every time I read about an appointment.

    ReplyDelete