Sunday, September 21, 2014

You are your child's role model

I am a very strong believer in the thought that children grow up and emulate the actions that they grow up seeing.
Being parents, you literally shape your child's reality and their norm.

I have always believed this,
However it is becoming more and more apparent as Cooper gets older.
The most important thing that I want to pass on to Cooper is how to love.
How to love your spouse, your children, your family, your friends.

It is very important to me that Cooper sees his parents show acts of love around the house.
Whether that is a kiss good morning or goodnight, holding hands, cuddling on the couch.
A kiss hello or goodbye,
Hugs all throughout the day,
Or random kisses "just because".

Some people may not think that small children are as perceptive as they truly are.
Everyone jokes as soon as babies start to say words, " I have to start watching what I say now",
but many people don't realize this is also the time when you really have the opportunity to completely influence how your child sees the world.

I have noticed how Cooper processes how he sees the actions of love being shown in our house.
He very quickly changed from open mouth baby kisses to puckering his lips and making the kiss sound.
He runs up to me or Jeff and just hugs our leg, or pulls on us to give us a real hug, then goes about his business.
He reaches back to hold your hand when you are walking in a store or when he wants to play with you or he wants you to get him a snack.
He will kiss his stuffed animals.
If he has two stuffed animals or his Woody and Jessie toys, he will quickly push their faces together and make a kiss sound.
He is very gentle and will rub your hand or a face randomly just to show love and check on you.
If Jeff and I are cuddled up on the couch watching a TV show before work, Cooper comes and cuddles right in.
He blows kisses.
He tries to kiss any pet within the family.
He knows to "give loves" (softly pet/ rub) family or animals.

You can try to teach a child how to do things through words,
but as the saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words".
I honestly believe that whole heartedly.
Children are going to imitate what they see.
That is a huge responsibility.

As I see how Cooper acts towards people and animals and stuffed animals,
I know he is imitating what he sees between me and Jeff, me and him, and him and his dad.
There are many things I know I am "winging" as a parent,
But teaching how to love, is something I chose a long time ago.
And of all the things Cooper has learned,
That is the one thing I am most proud of.

I know that by the actions I am showing in our house,
I am providing him with the instincts he will show to his family and friends,
and to his future wife and his future children.
If at the end of the day, he has learned that, I know I have done what I set out to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment